[SR-Users] Interconnecting two Kamailio IMS Networks

Derek OSS derekoss123 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 18:29:32 CET 2022

Hi,

I have P-CSCF, I-CSCF, and S-CSCF instances of Kamailio running with
rtpengine.  I can have a VoLTE call over a 4G network (using Open5GS) using
Kamailio with two phones on the same IMS network, no problem.  I have
leveraged the docker_open5gs project to do this.

For Kamailio, I have some IMS-related questions for when the Called-Party
is not within the IMS network as I'm interested in what may be required to
interconnect two Kamailio IMS networks.
- Does Kamailio (or anyone you may know) have example configuration files
for instances of a BGCF, IBCF, or TrGW?
- If the S-CSCF determines that the Called-Party is not within the IMS
network, is there an example configuration file of where the S-CSCF can
forward the SIP INVITE to a BGCF / contact the IBCF directly?
- If "no" to the above, are the BGCF, IBCF, and TrGW instances necessary to
facilitate a call between two networks?  Can Kamailio emulate multiple
networks and instead have the S-CSCF of the originating network simply send
the SIP request to the I-CSCF of the destination network (selected via DNS
lookup) and use the single rtpengine instance between the two networks
rather than using a BGCF, IBCF, and TrGW?

Thank you very much for your help,

Derek