[SR-Users] Tips on picking random element from a list

Henning Westerholt hw at gilawa.com
Tue May 3 19:40:55 CEST 2022

Hello,

what about just using this PV: https://kamailio.org/docs/modules/5.5.x/modules/cfgutils.html#idm438

Cheers,

Henning

--
Henning Westerholt – https://skalatan.de/blog/
Kamailio services – https://gilawa.com<https://gilawa.com/>

From: sr-users <sr-users-bounces at lists.kamailio.org> On Behalf Of Joel Serrano
Sent: Tuesday, May 3, 2022 6:20 PM
To: Kamailio (SER) - Users Mailing List <sr-users at lists.kamailio.org>
Subject: [SR-Users] Tips on picking random element from a list

Hi Everyone,

I have to implement a flow where outbound calls get their caller-id set with a random number from a pool.

I've been looking around and, as most of the time, there are tons of ways to implement something like this... This is a simple implementation, the number pool is fixed and will not change (so I could have it hard-coded in the config if required).

My initial approach was:

1- Try to keep it simple, with no dependencies, and all done in the config script.
2- If #1 is "ugly", then I'd probably go with some inline code using python/lua/etc
3- If #2 is "ugly", then I'd go with having the info in a DB and just run a query

I think #2 and #3 might be overkill for something so "simple" but I haven't had to work too much with randomness in Kamailio, so any tips/suggestions on where to store the number list and how to pick one randomly would be awesome!

Thanks!!
Joel.