[SR-Users] Help with rewriting headers for NAT manually

Ovidiu Sas osas at voipembedded.com
Sat Jan 15 13:55:09 CET 2022

Hello Chad,

You can add a listen directive to your config for the virtual IPs
(both public and private) and then you don't need to manually modify
any headers or use force_send_socket().
You need to enable non local IP binding so kamailio can start on the
server that doesn't have the virtual IP:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_nonlocal_bind
To make the change permanent, edit your sysctl.conf file and enable it there:
net/ipv4/ip_nonlocal_bind = 1

Regards
Ovidiu Sas

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 4:16 AM Chad <ccolumbu at hotmail.com> wrote:

> We are looking for some help (possibly a paid consultant) to help us with our Kamailio setup.
> To keep this as short as possible: we use Kamailio as a NAT proxy to bridge our external IP and our private IP asterisk
> servers (via dispatcher).
> However both the external IP and the internal IP that the Kamailio server uses are virtual IPs created by keepalived.
> Because of that neither mhomed nor fix_nated_contact work, and we use force_send_socket to direct the traffic.
> We run linux Debian 10 for the OS.
> Also we do not use a DB at all, everything is done with local config files.
>
> The problem is that when traffic goes out the Contact header has a private IP in it, like:
> Contact: <sip:##########@10.10.10.###]:5060>
>
> There are 2 possible solutions to this:
> 1. Make changes to linux, keepalived and/or Kamailio so that Kamailio recognize the virtual IPs so that mhomed and
> fix_nated_contact work as usual.
>
> 2. Create a manual header rewrite system.
>
> If solution #2:
> What we need to do is create a way to rewrite the contact header to the external IP on the way out, and on the way back
> rewrite it back to the internal server that the call is already connected to.
>
> Not sure if we will need to store those paths on the server or if we can do some kind of cheat with another persistant
> header like P-Preferred-Identity or P-Asserted-Identity (i.e. store the internal IP in the name field or something).
>
> If anyone out there know of a way to do this or wants to give it a try please reach out to me.
>
> Thank you all for your time.
>
> --
> ^C
> Chad