[SR-Users] Suggestion on receiving AAR

Alberto Diez alberto-lists at mobileplots.com
Mon Jan 10 20:33:55 CET 2022

Hi Jyoti,

I give you in this email a hint of what you can try and most probably it
works but I can't be 100% sure. The reason for this is I haven't been
involved in the current implementation of the Kamailio P-CSCF Rx interface.

That Rx AAR which happens during registration is called in the standards
"subscription to notification of IMS signaling path status",
"subscription to notification of Change of IP-CAN Type", "Provisioning
of SIP signaling flow information" and "subscription to notification of
change of PLMN id" they are all optional features.  There doesn't seem
to be a straightforward way to deactivate them in the current Kamailio
P-CSCF (would be easy to implement a parameter for that) so I am going
to suggest you the hard way and I expect that there is no dependency
later when the other Rx functions are called (when Provisioning of
Session Information during the INVITE etc.).  There shouldn't be any
consequence of doing this that I suggest here, but I don't know in the
current implementation, it probably takes less time if you try it out
and see if there is any problem.

In the config file that has the routing logic of the REGISTER just
comment out the logic associated with the Rx interface. If you are using
the default one like in
https://github.com/kamailio/kamailio/blob/master/misc/examples/ims/pcscf/route/register.cfg
its the lines 27 until 65. You see that there is a ifdef WITH_RX there
but you want to have WITH_RX set because later in the processing of the
INVITE is this same define the one that controls the provisioning of
session information to the PCRF.

An interesting note if there is any mantainer of these features, the AAR
creates a session in the PCRF, if the AAR is sent when receiving the
REGISTER instead of when receiving the 200 OK to the REGISTER, the
session needs to be removed (by sending an STR) if the REGISTER is not
successful. There is no such logic in the current Kamailio P-CSCF.  In
TS 29213 Annex B.1 3GPP shows some of these flows (subscription to
notification to signaling path status, provisioning of signaling flow
information) ocurring when receiving a 200 OK to a REGISTER instead of
when receiving the REGISTER itself. That would be in my opinion more
appropriate (generates less signaling), although 3GPP does depict
subscription to notiifcation of IP-CAN change and subscription to
notification of PLMN id change as happening upon receipt of REGISTER
instead of the 200 OK. That seems to me just 3GPP trying to make
everyone crazy

Best regards

alberto