[SR-Users] Calling t_relay([host, port]) with variables

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Jan 5 10:36:56 CET 2022

Hi Nick,

I think it might be worthwhile to ask why you want to provide these arguments to t_relay(), even though it can take them.

There is a common and understandable misconception among new users that specifying these arguments is the way to tell Kamailio the destination to which a message should be relayed. In fact, it’s not the canonical way it is done.

t_relay() consumes the domain part of the request URI ($ru):

   $ru = “sip:" + $rU + "@10.0.1.1:5060”;
   # or
   $rd = “10.0.1.1”;

If the domain in the RURI is different than the desired network destination, the “destination URI” can be used to override this:

https://www.kamailio.org/wiki/cookbooks/5.5.x/pseudovariables#du_-_destination_uri

   $du = “sip:10.0.1.1:5060”;

These values can of course be constructed from variables as well.

So, it is likely the case that you don’t need to call t_relay() with arguments at all. :-)

— Alex