[SR-Users] SEMS license with kamailio and rtpengine

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 13:19:36 CET 2022

Hello,

there is some erroneous information that Kamailio core uses another,
more permissive licence than GPLv2. It is actually GPLv2 (or newer) for
most of its code, as you can note at the top of old files there.

Probably the confusion came from the fact that is required since 2008 to
make contributions to core under BSD, but because there was (and still
is) a lot of prior GPLv2 code, all together, the core still has to
follow the GPLv2 rules. One can extract parts of the core and those can
be BSD, indeed.

The requirement to make core (and a few other major modules, iirc, tm,
sl, tls) contributions under BSD came practically from the issue with
bundling GPL code with some other (maybe not fully compliant) OSS
licenses such as it was the case of openssl license at that time.

If one wants to add (valuable) GPL code can add it in a module and the
core can get some hooks to call the code when needed. The rule tried to
avoid future situations when some past developers are gone and we would
need their agreement for packing core and main module with some libraries.