[SR-Users] Homer7 and Kamailio 5.3

Angelo Sipper sippro97 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 20:31:52 CET 2022

Hi,

Thank you all for the suggestions. It makes  sense the ARP to be the issue
as we have homer on the same network. So we will relocate it to a another
subnet and we will also consider adding the proxy in-between but again not
on the same subnet.
We will also install the gdb to have some backtraces when needed.

I will update you with results when ready.

Kind regards,
Angelo

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022, 6:57 PM Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> when Kamailio is not processing sip messages, so it looks like stuck, you
> can grab the backtraces with gdb to see what each kamailio process is
> executing at that moment. You need gdb installed and then run:
>
> kamctl trap
>
> It writes to a file in /tmp, the file name is printed by the command.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
> On 03.02.22 12:22, James Browne wrote:
>
> I've encountered a very similar problem in the past.The siptrace module
> uses UDP and does not expect a response, so it can be confusing that
> kamailio's behavior changes depending on whether the homer server is online.
>
> The problem I've seen in the past is that when kamailio and a statsd
> server are in the same IP subnet, and the statds server goes offline, an
> ARP request is made whenever traffic is to be sent, and this ARP request is
> blocking until it times out (a few seconds). It blocks all workers because
> they all want to send a UDP packet and all have to wait.
>
> If this is what's going on, then moving the siptrace server to a different
> subnet should resolve the problem.
>
> James
>

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2022 at 21:43, Angelo Sipper <sippro97 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the exact same configuration with two workers and same syntax.
>> It works fine until I shut down homer. After that Kamailio stop
>> precessing any traffic and all clients try to register as they are
>> disconnected.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> Angelo
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 2, 2022, 8:45 PM Karsten Horsmann <khorsmann at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> try to define an extra sendsocket.
>>>
>>> And add an listen directive for that sendsocket.  Sorry for the
>>> formating wrote this on my smartphone.
>>>
>>> Works for me with an similar setup and 5.3
>>>
>>> # capture node or webhomer target
>>> #!ifdef WITH_HOMER
>>> #!substdef "!MY_HOMER_CAPTURE!sip:MY_HOMER_IP_ADDR:MY_HOMER_PORT!g"
>>> #!substdef "!MY_LOCAL_SENDSOCK!sip:MY_PRV_IP:MY_LOCAL_SEND_PORT!g"
>>> #!substdef "!MY_LOCAL_SENDLISTEN!udp:MY_PRV_IP:MY_LOCAL_SEND_PORT!g"
>>> #!endif
>>>

>>> #!ifdef WITH_HOMER
>>> #Siptrace
>>> modparam("siptrace", "force_send_sock", "MY_LOCAL_SENDSOCK")
>>> # local interface from where to send the duplicated traffic
>>> modparam("siptrace", "duplicate_uri", "MY_HOMER_CAPTURE")
>>> modparam("siptrace", "hep_mode_on", 1) # enable/disable Homer
>>> encapsulate mode
>>> modparam("siptrace", "hep_version", 3) # HEPv3 the timestamp and capture
>>> agent ID will be included in the HEP header
>>> modparam("siptrace", "hep_capture_id", MY_HOMER_CAPTURE_ID) # capture
>>> agent id Limitation: 32-bit for HEPv3.
>>> modparam("siptrace", "trace_to_database", 0) # trace to database
>>> modparam("siptrace", "trace_on", 1) # enable/disable trace