[SR-Users] Architecture - your opinion is welcome and your experience too

Daian Conrad daian.conrad at gmail.com
Fri May 28 16:23:48 CEST 2021

Hi all,

I am studying and improving my understanding of how kamailio works, I have
used asterisk for a few years(and starting learning freeswitch too), and I
use an application to manage extensions, trunks and other media services.
I'm building a new scenario where kamailio is facing the internet and the
asterisk(s) are internally on private networks, would like the opinion of
you who are more experienced with more complex environments than me.

 I cannot change the application that uses asterisk for now, due to the
effort to develop event monitoring, cdr and other features that I use today.

I imagined and working on making kamailio functional by saving the
registration of extensions with location on DB, and with the UAC module
making the registration of extensions on asterisk(s), replacing the
registration address with the address of kamailio, its functional at this
point, but data replication with extensions turns things some hard to
mantain manually.

I think about using the DNS domain for each asterisk and make this
forwarded, each asterisk response for a fqdn and its extensions, like (
pbx1.example.com is forwarded to asterisk1, pbx2.example.com to asterisk2)
and so on.

Read about the dispatcher, rr, htable,carrierroute module to identify the
domain and forward based on that , none made me sure to be chosen for the
role, however, everyone has the resources to do it.

I am very wrong to follow this path, which option in your opinion is "less"
painful for a beginner apprentice like me?

I think about simple proxy based on domain requests(all messages and
dialogs) to asterisk where is responsible for the domain(realm)
but, loss the ability to use great security features of kamailio, is what I
understand now with the knowledge I have.

Sorry and forgive my english, i'm not very good at writing.

--
**Daian Conrad**

E-mail: daian.conrad at gmail.com
OpenS Team (DaCoD)