[SR-Users] dmq support for all transports - udp, tcp, tls, sctp

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 14:28:20 CET 2021

Hello,

(cross-posting - notification for developers, but also looking for
testing support in the users community).

So far dmq had support only for UDP, suitable to use for replication
over trusted networks (local private network, or vpn). There were couple
of discussions in the past about supporting other transport like tcp or
tls. Earlier today I pushed several commits to dmq module trying to
remove the limitation on UDP, and support the rest of the base protocols
available in Kamailio (TCP, TLS and SCTP).

Internally, a significant behaviour change is that the first (startup)
peer notification is now done in the SIP worker one process, instead of
the main process, in order to have all transports initialized. I could
not spot any relevant side effect that can happen based on quick
analysis, because the code with UDP only support was sending out the
KDMQ requests, the corresponding replies could come back later. Anyhow,
if any other dmq developer thinks of something not being quite right,
reply to the sr-dev mailing list to discuss further.

For users community: it would be appreciated if people using dmq can
test with other transports (TLS, TCP, ...) and report any problems on
sr-users mailing list or open an issue on bug tracker. Interesting test
scenarios would be with replication of large amount of data or high rate
of replicated requests per second.

My testing got to the level of connecting to peers via TLS, trying to
ensure the code is no longer limiting to UDP. I will do more, but I
thought of giving a notification in early phase and get some feedback in
order to avoid advancing too much in a wrong direction.

Funding: https://www.paypal.me/dcmierla