[SR-Users] Is Kamailio GPL or GPLv2

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 08:36:49 CEST 2021

Hello,

On 15.06.21 07:34, Yan Gao wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a question about the license of Kamailio.
>
> It is said to be GPL in https://www.kamailio.org/w/
> <https://www.kamailio.org/w/>:
> "Kamailio® (successor of former OpenSER and SER) is an Open Source SIP
> Server released under GPL, able to handle thousands of call setups per
> second...."
>
> But GPLv2 in https://www.kamailio.org/w/info/
> <https://www.kamailio.org/w/info/> :
> "Kamailio  is released under GNU Public License v2 (GPLv2). Beginning
> with 3.0.0, the application includes parts of code under BSD license
> that can be used such as individual components."
>
> Which one is the correct description?

actually it is GPLv2 or later, as the header of main.c file lists:

  * https://github.com/kamailio/kamailio/blob/master/src/main.c

All (almost) source code files have the header with their license,
several files/modules have also BSD license, if you want to use
(extract) them individually. But over all, it is GPLv2+. Somehow GPL as
a term got associated mainly with GPLv2 over the time.

I updated the the web pages.