[SR-Users] kamailio 5.4.5 crash after dialog [dlg_hash.c:1182]: next_state_dlg(): bogus event 2 in state 5 for dlg

Trevor Hemsley themsley at voiceflex.com
Wed Jun 2 20:27:15 CEST 2021

On 02/06/2021 18:25, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 02.06.21 19:00, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> We've seen a few occurrences of this crash since we implemented
>> kamailio 5.4.5 for our inbound call traffic.
>
> to clarify: have you made an update to kamailio 5.4.5 from an older
> version and since then you started to have such crashes? If yes, what
> was the previous version? I quickly checked and there were no major
> changes to dialog module in 5.4 branch.
>
> If you started with this version, is it under heavy load? Have you
> captured the SIP traffic? It would be useful to see the sip messages
> for such call.

We were running an ancient kamailio before, I think 4.0.3 or something
like that. This is a completely fresh install from scratch. And yes,
depends on your definition of heavy load but looking at the stats I
think it's about 2.5 million calls in approximately 4 weekdays (plus 3
low traffic weekend days). The one that crashed this morning at 07:xx
has done 425k in the approximately 12 hours since. The box doesn't seem
to be under heavy load from a linux perspective, cpu usage under 20%
(two cores), more than 1GB RAM free of the 2GB allocated, load average
under 1.0 all the time.

>> Preceding the crash we always get a message in the logs about "dialog
>> [dlg_hash.c:1182]: next_state_dlg(): bogus event 2 in state 5 for
>> dlg" and whenever we see that message, we get the crash.
>>
>> Jun  1 10:12:14 thissystem /usr/sbin/kamailio[20001]: CRITICAL: {2 1
>> INVITE 6787142-3831531134-1330894187 at some.telco.domain} dialog
>> [dlg_hash.c:1182]: next_state_dlg(): bogus event 2 in state 5 for dlg
>> 0x7fae153d3cf0 [3973:6059] with clid
>> '82608924-3831089984-1833452161 at some.telco.domain' and tags
>> '3831089984-684203260' ''
>>
>> The crash happens on line 879 of
>> https://github.com/kamailio/kamailio/blob/master/src/modules/dialog/dlg_db_handler.c
>
> You reference to code in master branch, not in 5.4 branch, so unless
> you did the remapping, the lines might not be the same.

The code is the same, at least as far as line 879 is concerned. And the
source I've been referencing is the local copy that I built our packages
from, I just figured that it would be more visible to use a link to the
git copy rather than quoting bits out of the local copy.

> You can eventually open an issue in the bug tracker to collect the
> details there and assist with troubleshooting.

https://github.com/kamailio/kamailio/issues/2757

P.S. I did try to ask on Freenode #kamailio but I guess the channel is
abandoned due to the recent Freenode kerfuffle though I did look on
libera.chat for an equivalent and could not find one.

Trevor Hemsley

Disclaimer