[SR-Users] Is this idea even feasible?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at kamailio.open.source.it
Wed Aug 18 18:18:51 CEST 2021

On Wednesday 18 August 2021 at 17:26:45, Henning Westerholt wrote:

> Hello Antony,
>
> As discussed earlier, Kamailio is not the right tool for your specific
> requirements.

I accept that.

> Here on this list are people naturally most experienced with this software.

Yes, obviously.

> We can also not provide a detailed solution to any problem.

I'm not asking for a detailed solution, however I find what Raúl has referred
to as "hints" to be so vague as not to be helpful, because they just say "it
can be done with something like X".  If I knew how to do it with X then I
would just get on with it.  Nobody has pointed at any documentation suggesting
how to do it (David did refer me to FreeSwitch docs, but again, not for
something which actually does what I'm asking for).

> Regarding about telling the PBX to put the call on hold, one way how to do
> it is by sending a Re-INVITE with a changed SDP from one of the called
> parties.

I believe that is precisely what I asked about in my original request:

"Specifically, this thing cannot send REINVITEs in order to put calls on hold,
nor can it handle anything to do with transfers (blind or attended).

"I'm looking for something which does have these SIP capabilities which I
could put in between this application and the SIP server"

So, yes, I know that is one way to do it.  What I do not know is how to inject
this into an existing dialogue between client and server.  That is why I
thought a SIP proxy would be a suitable solution, because it would naturally
be placed between client and server to start with.

> Maybe you can get more detailed and useful answers for you at the Asterisk
> or Freeswitch user lists.

The detailed answer from the Asterisk list is that Asterisk as a server is
perfectly capable of this, but Asterisk as a client cannot do it, and given
that I need to interface to a remote PBX as a SIP client, that basically means
that Asterisk is no solution to my problem.

> If hiring somebody is an option for you, we've is a business list available
> where you can just ask for people to contact you regarding your particular
> requirements. You will find similar lists also for other projects.

Indeed; I shall follow that up once I find someone who claims to know how to
provide a solution.

Thank you,

Antony.

--
"Can you keep a secret?"
"Well, I shouldn't really tell you this, but... no."