[SR-Users] Is this idea even feasible?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at kamailio.open.source.it
Tue Aug 17 21:51:18 CEST 2021

On Tuesday 17 August 2021 at 21:39:50, M S wrote:

> Not really, these are PABX features and Kamailio is not such. You would
> need something like Asterisk or FreeSWITCH which have several options to
> do such stuff.

No, I am not asking Kamailio to perform the PBX function of putting the call
on hold - the PBX can do that, if only it gets the correct instruction from
the "phone".

Maybe I didn't explain well.  Suppose I have a standard SIP phone (Yealink,
Polycom, Grandstream etc) and it's placing and receiving calls through a PBX.
Whilst a call is in progress, I can press a "hold" button on the phone and the
PBX will put the call on hold (and generally play music to the other party).

I've got the equivalent of a phone without a "hold" button, so I'm looking for
something I can place in the network path between the phone and the PBX which
can be told to inject the appropriate SIP REINVITE as though it had come from
the phone (if only it were capable of sending that).  The PBX then puts the
call on hold as normal.

I hope that makes things clearer?

> Question is how would this media server know when to hold, transfer etc. If
> the endpoint is a dumb sip softphone as you described?

Because I can send commands in to some API telling kamailio to "send a
REINVITE for call reference XXX"?

--
Your work is both good and original.  Unfortunately the parts that are good
aren't original, and the parts that are original aren't good.

 - Samuel Johnson

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.