[SR-Users] 403 Not relaying (DNS)

Justin Bookshar jbookshar at compunetix.com
Fri Oct 2 19:48:45 CEST 2020

Hello,
I'm trying to use Kamailio as a proxy and registrar component in our network and I would like to be able to do several things. I have an MCU capable of making SIP calls and using Kamailio as a proxy but it is not able to register with Kamailio. I would like to have Kamailio resolve addresses using its DNS component. I have attempted to do this, but I am getting 403 Not relaying responses when attempting to make calls through Kamailio that require the destination URI to be resolved. I have enabled debug and I don't see anything that would cause this. I have verified our /etc/resolv.conf file. When I use the primary DNS server in the list on an endpoint, I can get the address to resolve and the call completes correctly. I know I have working equipment on each end and the DNS server and URI are correct but going through Kamailio fails for both the MCU and endpoint when using it as a proxy. I have also tried to disable the internal resolver by adding the use_dns_cache=no option to the kamailio.cfg file. This produced the same result but as I mentioned I have independently verified the DNS server so I know the issue is isolated to Kamailio. Is it possible for Kamailio to do this or am I wrong in believing it can? The second thing I would like to do is to route calls to the MCU based on a prefix. I think I roughly have this working by adding a custom routing block to the request_route operation. I would also like to be able to make calls to local equipment that is not registered with the registrar and I am not able to do this either. I get the same 403 Not Relaying error when I attempt to call a local endpoint by IP address through the proxy that is also not registered with the registrar. Any info is greatly appreciated.

version: kamailio 5.2.5 (x86_64/linux)
flags: STATS: Off, USE_TCP, USE_TLS, USE_SCTP, TLS_HOOKS, USE_RAW_SOCKS, DISABLE_NAGLE, USE_MCAST, DNS_IP_HACK, SHM_MEM, SHM_MMAP, PKG_MALLOC, Q_MALLOC, F_MALLOC, TLSF_MALLOC, DBG_SR_MEMORY, USE_FUTEX, FAST_LOCK-ADAPTIVE_WAIT, USE_DNS_CACHE, USE_DNS_FAILOVER, USE_NAPTR, USE_DST_BLACKLIST, HAVE_RESOLV_RES
ADAPTIVE_WAIT_LOOPS=1024, MAX_RECV_BUFFER_SIZE 262144 MAX_URI_SIZE 1024, BUF_SIZE 65535, DEFAULT PKG_SIZE 8MB
poll method support: poll, epoll_lt, epoll_et, sigio_rt, select.
id: unknown
compiled on 09:56:06 Oct 17 2019 with gcc 8.3.0

Thanks,
Justin