[SR-Users] PRACK support in RTPENGINE module?

Chris Martineau Chris.Martineau at semafone.com
Tue May 5 09:55:15 CEST 2020

Thanks Daniel,

Will test and advise.

Chris

From: sr-users <sr-users-bounces at lists.kamailio.org> On Behalf Of Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Sent: 04 May 2020 19:09
To: Kamailio (SER) - Users Mailing List <sr-users at lists.kamailio.org>
Subject: Re: [SR-Users] PRACK support in RTPENGINE module?

I pushed a patch to rtpengine module to handle PRACK in both manage()
and answer() functions.

Chris: can you test and see if works as expected? If yes, it will be
backported.

On 04.05.20 19:51, Alex Balashov wrote:
> Oh, sorry. I misread; it seemed to me that rtpengine_answer1_f() was
> part of a cascade of fixup functions that goes back to
> rtpengine_manage(), but not to _answer(). You're right of course.
>
> On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 07:49:19PM +0200, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Chris mentioned that rtpengine_answer() is also not supporting (or is
>> ruling out all request types but ACK), so the C code is limiting in both
>> cases, no matter using rtpengine_manage() or rtpengine_answer().
>>
>> The rtpengine manage() was built as a wrapper around offer()/answer()
>> and it makes the decision of which one is executed in various cases
>> (request/reply/failure route), but not what offer()/answer() functions
>> do internally.
>>
>> So in this case the code has to allow execution for PRACK, it was an
>> omission, likely not a scenario that popped up so far.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel
>>
>> On 04.05.20 19:22, Alex Balashov wrote:
>>> Hello Chris,
>>>
>>> rtpengine_manage() is just a wrapper that makes context-sensitive
>>> invocations of rtpengine_offer() and rtpengine_answer(), so that you
>>> don't have to choose which of them to call manually. But it's not
>>> perfect.
>>>
>>> There are nevertheless situations where this manual use of the
>>> offer/answer functions is necessary, and it sounds like this is one of
>>> them.
>>>
>>> There is a larger question of whether rtpengine_manage() should support
>>> PRACK; it seems like the answer is yes. But this lacking cannot be
>>> framed as "RTPEngine doesn't support PRACK" or anything like that.
>>> RTPEngine can support any SDP-bearing request and reply, since RTPEngine
>>> does not care about SIP semantics per se.
>>>
>>> -- Alex
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alex Balashov | Principal | Evariste Systems LLC
>>>
>>> Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)
>>> Web: http://www.evaristesys.com/<http://www.evaristesys.com>, http://www.csrpswitch.com/<http://www.csrpswitch.com>

>> --
>> Daniel-Constantin Mierla -- www.asipto.com<http://www.asipto.com>
>> www.twitter.com/miconda<http://www.twitter.com/miconda> -- www.linkedin.com/in/miconda<http://www.linkedin.com/in/miconda>

> Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)
> Web: http://www.evaristesys.com/<http://www.evaristesys.com/>, http://www.csrpswitch.com/<http://www.csrpswitch.com/>

--
Daniel-Constantin Mierla -- www.asipto.com<http://www.asipto.com>
www.twitter.com/miconda<http://www.twitter.com/miconda> -- www.linkedin.com/in/miconda<http://www.linkedin.com/in/miconda>

Disclaimer

Semafone is a limited company, registered in England, with registered number 06963868. Our registered office is at Pannell House, Park Street, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4HN, United Kingdom.

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please send it back to us, and immediately and permanently delete it. This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance. To find out more Click Here (https://protect-eu.mimecast.com/s/6sS0CE8WmI1xZECyHvaY?domain=linkprotect.cudasvc.com) .

Although Semafone has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, Semafone cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage sustained as a result of computer viruses and the recipient must ensure that the email (and any attachments) are virus free.

For information about how we process data and monitor communications please see our Privacy Policy (https://semafone.com/gb/privacy/)