[SR-Users] Can't work around double SDP rewrite issue with rtpengine and config script SDP manipulation

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Jun 1 15:30:41 CEST 2020

George,

I understand. Have you considered begrudgingly adding a lightweight B2BUA such as SEMS in the middle?

I understand it greatly increases the operational complexity and moving parts of your setup, to say nothing of infrastructural costs. I am all for using Kamailio alone to solve problems that the disinformation/spam of the SBC industry tells us we need a conventional SBC to solve. I gave a presentation at the last Kamailio World[1] whose general tenor was that all one needs is a little Kamailio, and which could be interpreted as a winding, circumlocutory middle finger to the SBC industry. :-)

But this really does strike me as a valid use-case for an “SBC” type setup as we’ve been made to understand the term — that is, in what Oracle/Metaswitch/Sansay/Sonus/etc would like to have you think of as “the ordinary sense”.

RTPEngine is minimally invasive and, outside of its mandate to change the media endpoint addresses, is designed for additive capabilities, not to fix problems or maladaptive behaviours. Meanwhile, tweaking the SDP body, despite the existence of extensive technical capability on the part of Kamailio, is not something a proxy should be doing; it’s just not faithful to the endpoints’ tacit assumption that the SDP offer/answer they send is the one being operated upon by the other party. And, as you’ve noted, it is problematic to both tweak the SDP body and press RTPEngine into service simultaneously.

There may be — in fact, it’s likely — a solution to your most immediate technical problem, though I’m not sure offhand. But for the sake of manageability and conceptual integrity to your voice architecture going forward, I would urge you to reconsider whether this is the best way of doing things overall.

... unless you’re already well past that point, to which I think your references to the size and complexity of your config allude. :-) In that case, a nihilistic attitude may better suit the dark, ghastly hue of the situation.

— Alex

[1] https://youtu.be/j-0C6eHfocI

—
Sent from mobile, with due apologies for brevity and errors.