[SR-Users] TCP packet bundling

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Jan 7 21:29:13 CET 2020

Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> writes:

> I wanted to get clarity on a rather basic question:
>
> When using Kamailio with TCP, is it possible to end up with fragments of
> multiple SIP messages in a single "on-the-wire" packet?
>
> From what I understand, the purpose of Kamailio's setting TCP_NODELAY is
> to prevent such bundling--as much as it is possible to control the
> fragmentation/packetisation behaviour of the transport protocol from a
> user-space application.

>From a standards point of view, there is no real meaning to the end
applications to what bytes of user payload are in which TCP segments
within packets.  TCP_NODELAY is a hint that coalescing small writes is
not needed, to avoid a time delay waiting until that next chunk of data
might arrive.   However, that's not a guarantee.

My question to you might be why you care, or if you are having a
problem.