[SR-Users] out of shm without any visible reason

John Petrini jpetrini at coredial.com
Fri Feb 28 21:21:07 CET 2020

The times we've seen this is when transactions are waiting on something so
they pile up consuming shared memory. Do you have any database lookups or
calls out to external services or scripts?

Long timeouts can also contribute if something stops responding because
transactions are waiting for a long timeout to expire.

It's typically a balance between setting reasonable timeouts and allocating
enough shm. In addition we implemented some watcher scripts that monitor
shm and will set gflags to disable non-critical external calls beyond a
certain threshold as well as send us an alert.