[SR-Users] Call-ID Uniqueness and safety?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Feb 13 17:21:21 CET 2020

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:59:47AM +0000, Mark Boyce wrote:

> That’s exactly where we ended up. We’ve just added code to assign a
> uuid to each new dialog as it’s created. Which when logged via acc
> gives us the extra unique reference.

The trouble with that is it requires you to do a lot of gymnastics to
keep extra state. Using Call-ID as a key allows you to operate on calls
in a way that makes use solely of information contained in the SIP
message itself.

In an essentially thermodynamic sense, more state means more complexity,
and more fragility due to the inevitable bugs and corner cases that any
moving part and synchronisation effort brings.

Call-IDs are required to be adequate GUIDs by the standard, and are
sufficiently unique that the chance of a malicious collision is
infinitesimal. Even short, bad GUIDs tend to be quite mathematically
unique, unless they're just so comically short as to make a mockery of
the GUID requirement.

I would carefully weigh the economic and technical trade-offs of
assigning calls UUIDs on your side and maintaining that mapping. A more
pragmatic policy might be to reject requests with a Call-ID that is
below a certain string length.

-- Alex

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)