[SR-Users] Call-ID Uniqueness and safety?

Mark Boyce mark at darkorigins.com
Thu Feb 13 10:07:05 CET 2020

Hi all

Over coffee we’ve been discussing the uniqueness and safety of call-id this morning.  Lots of things like RTPEngine recording use call-id to generate filenames (yes it does escape them first :-). Not to mention dialog tracking (also uses from/to tags) etc.

Which got us thinking.  As call-id is determined by the first SIP packet that normally comes from a UA, should we care if this UA was broken or worse malicious?

What would happen if they were repeated?  For example we may struggle to determine a recordings owner in RTPEngine (file name format is callid+random.wav).

For security should we be rejecting requests where we’ve seen the call-id before?

All theoretical over coffee, as it was that or start working!

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were?

Cheers
Mark