[SR-Users] Deletion of Prometheus metrics

Vicente Hernando vhernando at sonoc.io
Thu Aug 6 15:21:13 CEST 2020

Hello Marat,

answer inside text:

On 8/6/20 1:17 PM, Marat Gareev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have confuse about this timeout:
> https://www.kamailio.org/docs/modules/devel/modules/xhttp_prom.html#xhttp_prom.p.xhttp_prom_timeout
>
> Is there reason for forced deletion of unused metrics?

Only reason is to save memory.

> Let's imagine a situation: Zabbix reads metrics at a certain interval,
> unused metrics are deleted if they are not used for a period of time
> (xhttp_prom_timeout).
> I drew 2 cases when Zabbix will receive the same value, but we cannot
> say unambiguously whether these are new values or not.
> xhttp_prom_timeout.jpg

I could think of a mechanism to disable timeout, but right now it is not
possible.

Default timeout is 60 minutes.

What you show in the example is a metric that is deleted before it
stopped being used. That does not make sense. Because timeout is
customizable you should increase its value to something that suits you
(large enough).

Only constraint is memory available to store metrics. If you set enough
memory for the number of metrics you expect to use, no problem.

Regards,

Vicente.