[SR-Users] RTPEngine / Transcoding question

Carsten Bock carsten at ng-voice.com
Wed May 22 00:42:50 CEST 2019

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply, understood.

The issue is following (not really an issue, more an optimization):
At the moment of the offer, I simply don't know, what will be supported by
the callee. G711 is however always supported, that's why I don't want to
strip it. I send the call to our upstream provider; if he sends it to
Telefonica, we get an answer with G722 and G711. If he sends it to Deutsche
Telekom, the answer is only G711. However, we don't know, if it's gonna be
Telefonica or Deutsche Telekom...

I was thinking about avoiding uneccessary RTP traffic (in HD) between
RTPEngine and the device in case of an outbound call. From a signalling
perspective, I get the right result, if I use sdp_remove_codecs() in my
reply. However, that won't work, since the RTP stream sent from RTPEngine
to the device is in HD, regardless of the signalling.

I can live with the status quo.

Thanks again,
Carsten