[SR-Users] Question on Database Version Table

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Jun 18 20:54:51 CEST 2019

Hi JR,

A Kamailio of a given version will want the version table entries it
expects for its version, and will blow up on boot if it does not find
them. But it is safe to update them while Kamailio is running, as long
as you acknowledge that Kamailio will not start properly if it crashes
or is restarted unless the correct table versions are in place.

Best practice for upgrading in parallel - that is, any situation where
multiple Kamailio instances (e.g. active and standby) share a database
and need to both be running at the same time - is to make use of this
core config parameter:

https://www.kamailio.org/wiki/cookbooks/5.2.x/core#version_table

That way, you can make yourself a different version table with entries
appropriate for a given Kamailio release, and tell your new Kamailio
instance to use that one, while keeping the old one until you're
prepared to decommission it. Then you can rename the table to 'version',
or just keep 'version52' or whatever and have 'version_table' perennially
set in the config.

-- Alex

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 01:50:35PM -0500, JR Richardson wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I'm doing some upgrades and noticed database table version numbers
> have increased.
>
> database table adjustments:
> | address | production ver 3 | upgrade 5.2 ver 6 | need to add
> accountcode and notes column
> | dispatcher | production ver 3 | upgrade 5.2 ver 4 | need to add attr column
> | trusted | production ver 5 | upgrade 5.2 ver 6 | need to add
> ruri_pattern and priority column
>
> I run mysql master/slave so I'm concerned about the master database
> not having the correct version numbers or can I just update the
> version number in the table when I do the upgrade of the kamailio
> versions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> JR
> --
> JR Richardson
> Engineering for the Masses
> Chasing the Azeotrope

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)