[SR-Users] Kamailio OPTIONS Round-Trip

Nuno Ferreira nferreira at fuze.com
Wed Jan 16 13:44:36 CET 2019

Hello Daniel,

I'm reading this thread with some interests. We were planning to use
nat_traversal module to do keepalive, but we came across the UDP only
limitation. In our use case, we wanted to offload the registrar from doing
keepalive. Of course, that's an option, but it has yet another limitation
when having active/active registrar servers using dmq_usrloc. If one of the
registrars goes down which server will be in charge of doing keepalive for
the contacts previously registered on the faulty registrar? That was one of
the reasons for us to seek doing keeplive on the edge with nat_traversal,
but again it's only valid for UDP.
If usrloc/dmq_usrloc provides some automatic election mechanism to
keepalive orphan AORs, I would prefer going with it for the task. Another
benefit like I read from your words is that we would automatically have
available latency/rtt attached to each contact and that is a big plus.

Regards,

Nuno

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 12:26 PM Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> maybe we can just add this feature to the usrloc module -- right now the
> nat keepalive is done from nathelper module, which queries usrloc module to
> retrieve the list of the contacts to send OPTIONS to. Of course, the
> nathelper has the other variant witj 4-bytes pings, but I expect not many
> are using it these days.
>
> Furthermore, because the nathelper has some options to forge the source ip
> address as well as willing to be lightweight, it sends the packets
> directly, no relying on tm module.
>
> However, it seems that it is an increase interest in having more feedback
> based on these keepalives. Including the ability to do mirroring for
> sipcapture (a feature request being open in the tracker). Other request in
> the past was to send OPTIONS also for non-UDP contacts, nathelper does it
> only for UDP.
>
> So we can consider adding a transaction based keepalive layer, which of
> course might take a bit more resources that current nathelper
> implementation, but can bring extra benefits. I think we can leave
> nathelper as it is and add this feature directly in the usrloc module,
> avoiding to pass data between modules, but also because we have to
> set/updates some fields in the contract structure (like this round trip
> time).
>
> There are other modules that do keepalive, some mentioned dispatcher,
> there is a dedicated one named keepalive, and, afaik, also nat_traversal
> can do it. I am listing them so others can assert where it would be better
> to add the new feature -- as said, I would do it in usrloc, but I am open
> for other suggestions as well (eventually accompanied with a pull request).
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
> On 15.01.19 21:12, Julien Chavanton wrote:
>
> Depending on the use case, you could use the dispatcher module latency
> stats.
>

> https://kamailio.org/docs/modules/devel/modules/dispatcher.html#dispatcher.p.ds_ping_latency_stats
>
> Regards
>
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 2:29 AM Daniel Tryba <d.tryba at pocos.nl> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 10:08:31PM +0300, Soltanici Ilie wrote:
>> > With Asterisk, we are able to get some peer round-trip connection
>> statistic by setting qualify=yes for the specified peer.
>> > It sends periodic OPTIONS to the peer and calculates the time round
>> trip time.
>> > It's something like - "Status: OK (30 ms)".
>> > Is there any way to achieve this in Kamailio by using
>> nathelper??module, or any other?
>>
>> I think the only way to do this is to make this yourself (tm). In your
>> favorite scripting language, query the locations and fire OPTIONS and
>> measure the time for a response (if any) on basis of the "random" callid
>> you create. If you route these requests through kamailio you will
>> prevent any NAT problems or connection with TCP endpoints.

> [...]

*Nuno Ferreira* | Architect, CoreUC | nferreira at fuze.com | +351 308805903
Rua Carlos Silva Melo GuimarĂ£es 23, 3800-126 Aveiro, Portugal

<http://www.facebook.com/fuze>   <http://www.twitter.com/fuze>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/fuze-inc>
<https://plus.google.com/110150232345018024360>
<https://www.instagram.com/fuze_hq/>

<http://www.fuze.com/>

--
*Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this e-mail and any

attachments may be confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, you

are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this

e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,

please notify the sender and permanently delete the e-mail and any

attachments immediately. You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail or

any attachment for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of the

contents to any other person. Thank you.*