[SR-Users] create own packages for some modules

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 10:31:22 CET 2019

Hello,

On 21.02.19 07:39, Sergey Safarov wrote:
> Current kamailio package (checked via RPM) is contains lot of modules.
> Some of this is not important to include in every kamailio
> installation. May be create own packages for this modules and other in
> next 5.3 branch?
> Modules examples:
>
> benchmark.so
> db_cluster.so
> db_text.so
> rtpengine.so
> rtpproxy.so
> sipcapture.so
> siptrace.so
> sipt.so
> sms.so
> smsops.so
> ss7ops.so
>
> https://github.com/kamailio/kamailio/issues/1862

use of such modules is a matter of deployment type and for example, for
residential services, rtpengine or rtpproxy are like a must. I also use
often benchmark module to track execution of some operations (like http
queries). Also, siptrace is rather common in what I deal with.

IMO, it is hard to make a selection on usage or personal preferences.
The rule was that was has same dependencies as core, they should be
packaged together.

Actually there was a discussion to add more to the main package, from
those with additional dependencies, but very used (like tls, ...) -- it
might be on issue tracker as well.

Then, Victor Seva mentioned at some point in time that in debian is
better to keep modules groupped as many as possible, because introducing
a new package in the official distro requires a complex process of
review for license, etc...

Overall, if there is a decision to regroup some modules in different
packages, I would like to follow the same for both debs and rpms,
otherwise installation guidelines can end up to be different and can
become confusing.

Kamailio World Conference - May 6-8, 2019 -- www.kamailioworld.com
Kamailio Advanced Training - Mar 4-6, 2019 in Berlin; Mar 25-27, 2019, in Washington, DC, USA -- www.asipto.com