[SR-Users] Kamailio delayed reponse in case of database load

Ali Taher ataher at vanrise.com
Tue Dec 10 13:37:15 CET 2019

Hello,

I have Kamailio installed as SIP redirect for an SBC to make routing decisions.
I'm using SQLOps module with postgresql 11.5 where I have multiple tables containing each around 6M record of routing codes:
Code       options
-----------------------
392342  sup1|sup2|sup3

Where code field is of prefix_range data type and has a gist index.
I'm sending traffic of 300 CPS to SBC which is forwarding it to Kamailio, and Kamailio respond with 300 multiple choice with the routing decision.
In normal cases, everything is going smoothly where Kamailio repsonds up to 50 ms.
But during the process of loading data to the routing tables, Kamailio response to SBC is dramatically delayed , where for some calls it takes up to 7 seconds to respond.
Noting that during this process the data are loaded to staging tables and not to live tables used by Kamailio.
Kamailio is installed on a VM with 32GB RAM and 16 vcores.
Following configuration is used in Kamailio:
fork=yes
children=10

following are the customized parameters in postgresql.conf
max_connections = 100
shared_buffers = 8GB
effective_cache_size = 24GB
maintenance_work_mem = 2GB