[SR-Users] basic Kamailio frontend to Asterisk

Travis Ryan travis at travisryan.com
Tue Aug 20 16:22:26 CEST 2019

All,

I would like to use Kamailio as a frontend/proxy for an asterisk
machine/cluster. I'm very well versed in Asterisk, but VERY noob to
Kamailio.

I've watched so many Kamailio presentations and feel like I've scoured
the web for any article that could help me. There is alot out there, but
I'm not finding my exact situation.

I believe I understand the dispatcher stuff that I'll need down the
road, but I'm having issues understanding the setup of my SIP trunk and
Kamailio.

I used UAC to setup the trunk connection in Kamailio and it sort of
worked. I'm not sure what I do for Asterisk. I'd suspect that in this
situation Kamailio would handle the registration and trunk connection
for me.

What role is Kamailio to my Asterisk? Just an Outbound proxy? Do I need
to still register the trunk from each Asterisk box "thru" the Kamailio
proxy, etc?

Also, I'm merely accepting outside calls and then validating the caller
and bridging them back out to the PSTN, so I don't have any local SIP
clients, etc., so no need to register the sip devices, etc.

Thanks!

Travis