[SR-Users] Compressing SIP messages

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at kamailio.open.source.it
Mon Apr 1 17:18:36 CEST 2019

On Monday 01 April 2019 at 16:33:17, Igor Olhovskiy wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Was looking on some way to compress SIP signalling between internal
> servers.

What problem are you trying to solve by compressing SIP?

> But found out, there are no some pre-defined or recommended mechanism of
> doing this. Yes, I found gzcompress module, but it will help only in case of
> big body, but not whole message itself. Like in some cases you can have 4-5
> RR headers, which is already a lot of info.

Surely you're still only talking about 100s to 1000s of bytes - how is that a
problem for you?

> What I googled is
> SigComp
>
> Compact Header form
>
> As I found, SigComp is really not widely-used method and it support along
> opensource SIP servers/PBXes is not documented. For Compact Header form -
> is there any way of using Kamailio to compress message this way? Maybe
> also there is a way of having some intermediate proxy-layer software, that
> will gzip/gunzip SIP signalling in realtime?
>
> All of this actually cause info in SIP/SDP grows rapidly, unfortunately MTU
> size is not.

So, are you trying to restrict the total amount of data being sent in a SIP
request / response, or are you trying to control the MTU size of the packets /
frames that data is sent in?

Antony.

--
"Measuring average network latency is about as useful as measuring the mean
temperature of patients in a hospital."

 - Stéphane Bortzmeyer

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.