[SR-Users] Compressing SIP messages

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 17:11:05 CEST 2019

Hello,

using tcp would be an option, as Alex mentioned, if you can control the
udp mtu size. The alternative can be also sctp transport, which should
be better that tcp. If you have a recent kernel, that could be better.
However, I have to say that I haven't seen much use of sctp lately
myself, so do a little testing yourself before pushing to production.

Then, looking at the compress option, enhancing gzcompress also for
headers should be easy. But I think that it would require sort of
encoding at the beginning, to know is an encrypted packet and eventually
specify the algorithm for compression. Not sure if such protocol is
defined somewhere else and we can reuse it, or we just brew one ourselves.

Actually, the proposal above with gzcompress module would be to make it
simpler (as I thought of doing at some point when I sent packages over
long distance and narrow band), because that is already possible if you
use an embedded scripting language and corex module -- the example there
is pretty much what you are looking for:

  *
https://www.kamailio.org/docs/modules/stable/modules/corex.html#async.evr.network_io

Kamailio World Conference - May 6-8, 2019 -- www.kamailioworld.com