[SR-Users] Double Session Description Protocol Version (v) 0 data when using rtpengine

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Oct 24 15:01:17 CEST 2018

More generally, Steve, responding to some themes I see in your posts
over the past few months:

You have a habit of posting overblown speculations about problems and
painting yourself into grossly overcomplicated interpretations that send
you down spurious paths of troubleshooting.

I think you need to seriously ponder Occam's Razor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

If you're running into an unexpected phenomenon, why do you assume it's
a bug in Kamailio or a "de novo" problem? In fact, a little Googling
will reveal that double SDP stanzas are a common question.

https://lists.kamailio.org/pipermail/sr-users/2015-August/089538.html

The simplest explanation is almost ALWAYS the correct one. Yes,
occasionally it is possible to find a true, honest-to-god original bug
in the product -- we all have. But it is not the explanation you should
start with, nor one you should readily leap to, because it requires a
lot more assumptions, so probabilistically, it is almost always the
wrong theory.

Consider it in terms of thermodynamics, mathematics, and the complexity
introduced by additional moving parts if you like:

If you see an unexplained flash of light, there are numerous possible
explanations. Some are quite simple: optical-neurological phenomenon,
reflection from the mirror of a passing car, etc. Some are extremely
complicated and involve novel, unproven ideas in physics or cosmology.

"Hey, what was that flash of ligth?"

Which should you start with FIRST? Think about it critically ...

-- Alex