[SR-Users] RTPEngine set IDs

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Oct 22 16:44:39 CEST 2018

Hi,

I have a question about RTPEngine set IDs:

As of Kamailio 5.x, it appears the RTPEngine module has got quite smart. Even if
I don't set `setid_avp`, it still knows which RTPEngine instance and set
ID was engaged by an initial rtpengine_offer() / rtpengine_manage()
command. This knowledge persists even to delete calls in CANCEL / BYE
handling, or in subsequent offer/answer calls in reinvites or UPDATEs.

That's great, and very convenient. It saves me the trouble of having to
store the set ID in an RR param or as a dialog variable, because
everything Just Works.

The problem, of course, is that if I restart Kamailio, all this state is
forgotten. So, for example, if I set up a call, answer it, restart
Kamailio, then hang it up, the delete command will go to the default set
and not necessarily the non-zero set chosen.

If I want proper RTPEngine call teardown to persist across restarts, as
far as I can tell I will need to store the set ID in an RR param or some
other reasonably stateless way.

Am I missing anything here? Does the `rtpengine` module offer some means
of persisting this data across restarts? As far as I can tell, its
database backing is for the set definitions only and not for call state.

Cheers,

-- Alex

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)