[SR-Users] force_send_socket

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Oct 8 13:24:22 CEST 2018

OK, I touched off a controversy with my use of the word "deprecated"
that I did not intend, as the implied intellectual or policy commitment
to that word is not really strong. :-)

What I meant through that particular choice of words is that there is,
among those with some lengthy experience with the OpenSER pedigree, a
recognised set of core functions and ancient modules which correspond to
a different era of SER/OpenSER, and are not complementary to the ways of
doing things that are concomitant with the present generation of the
system.

Examples from modules include most of the `avpops` module functions, as
well as the `usr_preferences` table - both take us back to a time before
generic SQL queries and arbitrary data sources were a first-class aspect
of Kamailio, as with the `sqlops` module, `htable`, etc.

In the core, there are lots of functions such as strip(), prefix(),
rewritehostport(), and, in my view, force_send_socket(). These functions
don't take PV arguments, and are superceded by the more flexible direct
manipulation of the RURI, the destination set, and $fs, along with the
wealth of transformations available nowadays, which can be chained.

Not everyone shares this exact set of tacit assumptions, I imagine, and
I think that's what got folk exercised when I said "deprecated". These
functions will surely remain for backward compatibility.

-- Alex

On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 02:07:23PM +0300, Juha Heinanen wrote:

> > Le 08/10/2018 à 02:27, Alex Balashov a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 1. force_send_socket() is essentially deprecated in favour of mutating
> > > $fs:
> > >
> > >     $fs = 'udp:67.215.186.219:5060';
>
> According to wiki, $fs cannot deprecate force_send_socket.
>
> In force_send_socket, proto can be left out:
>
>   force_send_socket
>
>   Force to send the message from the specified socket (it _must_ be one of
>   the sockets specified with the “listen” directive). If the protocol
>   doesn't match (e.g. UDP message “forced” to a TCP socket) the closest
>   socket of the same protocol is used.
>
> wheres:
>
>   $fs - Forced socket
>
>   $fs - reference to the forced socket for message sending (if any) in
>   the form proto:ip:port
>
> -- Juha

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)