[SR-Users] Newbie: TOPOH in SBC/Proxy scenario regarding To-header

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Jun 21 23:08:59 CEST 2018

Proxies are absolutely not to alter the To and From header. If A sends a
request to B through proxy P, and P alters its To or From headers, those
get copied into responses and in-dialog requests from B back to A.

A is well within its rights to say, "That's not my To header!"

Kamailio nevertheless has that capability:

   https://kamailio.org/docs/modules/5.1.x/modules/uac.html#uac.f.uac_replace_to

It is done in a "clever" way that allows it to conceal the fact that it
has been altered from A by restoring it to the original value in any
messages destined for A. You can learn more about that in the module
documentation, e.g.

   https://kamailio.org/docs/modules/5.1.x/modules/uac.html#uac.p.restore_mode

-- Alex

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:57:54PM +0300, Igor Olhovskiy wrote:

> Why proxy cannot alter To header?
>
> Regards, Igor
> 21 июня 2018 г., 19:22 +0300, Kevin Olbrich <ko at sv01.de>, писал:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I set up a proxy in front of an asterisk server to handle registration and similar.
> >
> > This setup needs topology hiding. I enabled and configured TOPOH which is working well.
> > The only header which leaks network details is "To". It lists the proxys internal IP.
> >
> > Sure, a proxy should not alter the To and I am investigating if this can be changed in asterisk but is it even possible?
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Kevin

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)