[SR-Users] Transcoding

Wilkins, Steve swwilkins at mitre.org
Fri Jan 26 14:57:45 CET 2018

Hello All,

I am currently using Kamailio and Asterisk on Centos 7 servers and trying to enable WebRTC jsSIP clients to be able to do Audio/Video calls with Provider Phones (Purple, Z, Sorenson, etc....), however, the providers do not have vp8 codecs (which is what the WebRTC clients use for Audio) so I believe I will need a media proxy server to resolve the video issues.  My question is, can rtpproxy or rtpengine perform this transcoding? If so, and if rtpengine is the way to go, should I use Ubuntu for the rtpengine since it is the only one that seems to have a working installation?

Thank you,
-Steve