[SR-Users] What is the typical network setup for kamailio?

Henning Westerholt hw at kamailio.org
Mon Aug 20 20:33:39 CEST 2018

Am Montag, 20. August 2018, 13:22:30 CEST schrieb Kevin Olbrich:
> I browsed the files but was unable to find one using Kamailio as SBC
> without exposing the Asterisk core.
>
> Most examples indeed expose the node and let media flow directly (
> https://www.kamailio.org/events/2017-KamailioWorld/Day1/08-David.Casem-Build
> ing-A-Global-VoIP-Network.pdf - interesting solution with e/iBGP which we
> would also be able to deploy).
>
> There was just a single presentation that I was able to locate that had the
> proxy only on the edge:
> https://www.kamailio.org/events/2017-KamailioWorld/Day2/15-Sebasitan.Damm-An
> ti-Fraud-With-HTables.pdf At least it looks like they are located behind the
> SBC.
>
> After the research my impression is, that co-locating the B2BUA with the
> Edge-Proxy and firewall-ing it, seems best practice.
> We will try to add some security by bridge-firewalling and BGP.
>
> If anyone has a hint for a presentation with high-security edge-proxy, I
> would appreciate it. Thank you.
> [..]

Hi Kevin,

here you find a (older) presentation about a setup with private asterisk and
kamailio as network edge. This is the one that we build back in the days at
1&1, slide 19 has a schematic diagram of the setup:

https://skalatan.de/archive/presentations/kamailio-world-2013-presentation.pdf

Best regards,

Henning

--