[SR-Users] What is the typical network setup for kamailio?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Aug 20 20:04:00 CEST 2018

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 09:01:08PM +0300, Dmitri Savolainen wrote:

> >  If Kamailio is going to act as your registrar, then you will need to
> > find some way to expose the registered contacts to Asterisk -
> >
> Matthew, could you explain why Asterisk have to know about reg contacts in
> you approch?  Asterisk just may sends all to Kamailio (second call leg)
> and let Kamailio route this call to appropriate contact.

The historical problem with this "dial endpoints over a trunk peer"
approach is that such endpoints are not as privileged by Asterisk as
local AstDB bindings for various Class 5 / application purposes, e.g.
hints, voicemail, MWI, etc.

But as I understand it, PJSIP is supposed to fix this problem and make
use of an outboard registrar a lot more transparent.

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)