[SR-Users] What is the typical network setup for kamailio?

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Mon Aug 20 17:23:33 CEST 2018

For what it's worth, we've set up a network/system where Asterisk resides
completely on a private network with Kamailio acting as an edge proxy.
RTPEngine is necessary as well to help the media through to the private
network, but that's probably not surprising. It is completely doable,
although the suggestions below about simply restricting Asterisk on a
public network to the locations of the Kamailio proxies also works quite
well.

Matching inbound requests in Asterisk to only the pool of Kamailio proxies
can be done in a variety of fashions - IP address matching being the
simplest. You will obviously need to think carefully about how Asterisk
handles its outbound calling. If Kamailio is going to act as your
registrar, then you will need to find some way to expose the registered
contacts to Asterisk - we chose this route, and wrote a small REST sidecar
to Kamailio for that purpose. If Asterisk is going to act as your
registrar, you will need to fork the REGISTER requests to all of the
Asterisk instances. Additionally, for INVITE requests being initiated by
Asterisk, you will want to force those to flow through your edge proxies.
This can be done using Asterisk's outbound_proxy setting on the AOR object
in pjsip.conf.

Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | CTO