[SR-Users] DMQ and/or Database for dialogs, registrations, etc..

Charles Chance charles.chance at sipcentric.com
Fri Apr 27 20:23:51 CEST 2018

Hello Joel,

+1 to everything Alex has said. Using DMQ simplifies/flattens the stack and
allows for a truly decoupled cluster with fewer points of failure.

In production we use DMQ for htable, usrloc, dialog and presence, where
previously we were using MySQL with Percona - now, performance is vastly
improved and the admin overhead is greatly reduced.

Disclaimer: I am possibly very slightly biased!

Cheers,

Charles

On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 at 16:45, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com>
wrote:

> Hello Joel,
>
> Our experience with using DMQ for dialog and usrloc replication has been
> very positive, and we recommend it wholeheartedly over the crusty
> database sync-based methods.
>
> The primary appeal comes from the fact that the replication is done at a
> higher level, so there is no need to contend with issues surrounding the
> degree of two-way coupling that DB-backed modules have. For instance,
> the dialog module has both "runtime" and "persistent" components to its
> backing, so while the dialog module can store dialog info in a DB table,
> it can't store profile info. Replicating dialogs via DMQ allows one to
> share profile state.
>
> And in general, it's a lot more efficient. If you have 3 or 4
> registrars, you have a reasonable degree of persistence if you use in
> memory-only storage for usrloc with DMQ replication. That takes an
> enormous workload off the database.
>
> Databases are for storage; they aren't great for highly ephemeral,
> short-lived, real-time data, though they're often (mis)used for that
> purpose:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database-as-IPC
>
> DMQ solves a much-needed gap here in Kamailio, and I hope it is extended
> to provide transport for other components too.
>
> -- Alex
>
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 08:31:56AM -0700, Joel Serrano wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just wanted to know what your opinions were on using DMQ modules over
> > database for things like dialog replication, registrations, etc...
> >
> > Is DMQ the "new way to go"? I know that there lots of ways of doing
> things
> > with each having pros/cons... But I was wondering...
> >
> > What does the community think on this topic?
> >
> > Are you guys taking advantage of the DMQ modules or are you still relying
> > on database as much as possible? Maybe a combination of both?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Joel.

> Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)

Sipcentric Ltd.
                Company registered in England & Wales no.
7365592. Registered
                office: Faraday Wharf, Innovation
Birmingham Campus, Holt Street, Birmingham Science Park, Birmingham B7 4BB.