[SR-Users] real-time update question

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Sep 5 19:41:11 CEST 2017

On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 01:38:50PM -0400, Fred Posner wrote:

> I understand that restarting Kamailio may freak you out... but, it doesn't
> have to.

+1.

> Unless you have something specific running in memory space (such as
> with htables, etc), this means that Kamailio doesn't "remember" any of
> the traffic that it proxies; instead using the information within the
> SIP traffic to route the packets. A restart of the service does not
> have an effect on the routing of this traffic, since the system is not
> using memory to guide the proxying of traffic.

Yep, generally true. The exception would be CANCELs, since they are
hop-by-hop and require state in order to route. Another wrinkle is TCP
state if you use TCP or TLS, obviously.

But in the main, this is absolutely right. Restarting Kamailio isn't
that scary and doesn't inherently cause anything to drop or fail.

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)