[SR-Users] Advice on taking the best path to build a Presence & IM server

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Oct 17 09:27:14 CEST 2017

> On 16 Oct 2017, at 22:24, José Seabra <joseseabra4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello there,
> I'm writing here in order to get your experiences about a Presence & IM server.
>
> I would like to know what is the best solution to follow:
> SIP Simple or XMPP?
>
> I've more knowledge about SIP Simple with kamailio but i did some researches and i found several open sources unified communications software that's implement Presence and IM using an XMPP server.
> So what is your opinion about which is the best solution to choose, taking in considerations the following aspects:
> scalability
> interopeability
> permornace
> features(like: Personal assistance, voicemail integration, chat group, integration with social media)
> Should i choose Kamailio SIP Simple with xcap or an XMPP server(Prosody or ejabberd, etc)
>
> I will appreciate a lot your opinion.

With very sad eyes I have to say that SIP Simple is a big failure. There’s no interoperability as every vendor
did their own thing and there was no focus on interoperability in the group. Vendors have stated to me that
they just want their customers to buy their servers and their clients and problem is solved. I tried really hard
to set up a vendor-neutral solution but failed miserably - the various clients and servers parse the
standards in different ways. The working group is closed and I have seen
almost no activity in the IETF in that area since.

XMPP on the other hand thrives and continues their development. There is a core of developers that
work with standards and interoperability and it continues.

I think scalability, performance and features are almost the same, but XMPP wins in regards to interoperability.

And please José, don’t start diving down into the SIMPLE specifications, because there are way too
many from different organisations and you’ll end up quite mad.

This is my personal view after a complete failure trying to build a Lync competitor based on open
standards. The bad feeling in my stomach may affect my clarity in this matter. ;-)

/O