[SR-Users] Kamilio new user - help get going

Joel Serrano joel at gogii.net
Fri Jul 14 23:55:29 CEST 2017

Hi Kenneth,

What you are talking about is a pretty common installation. As a starting
point, you will need a way to differentiate your clients so you can send
them to the correct PBX.

For example:

You have customers A, B, C and PBX servers 1, 2, 3 respectively.  (A1, 2B,
3C). Your domain name is sip.knudsen-nordic.com.

Say A wants to register to their PBX, how would you make sure that Kamailio
forwards that request to PBX1 instead of PBX2? Then C wants to register and
Kamailio has to send the request to PBX3 this time, etc. There are
countless ways to do this, and any can be correct or wrong. This is why the
big picture matters a lot, Kamailio can handle and manage all registrations
by himself, or it can relay them for each PBX to manage their own
registrations, etc.... Would the PBXs have public IPs (with traffic
restricted by a firewall or similar) or would they have private IPs and you
have to deal with NAT, etc.? There are lots of variables here.

Regarding having the PBX exposed directly to internet, I would strongly
suggest to avoid that, fraud attempts in the SIP world *WILL HAPPEN*
literally minutes after you expose the PBX, and, it is quite common for
config mistakes to cause huge fraud carrier bills.