[SR-Users] Record-Route Header Question

Andres andres at telesip.net
Tue Jan 17 19:40:37 CET 2017

Hi,

I am troubleshooting some strange call setup problems using an Edgewater
Networks SBC.  A couple of Polycom phones sit behind the SBC and they
connect to a SIP Server in the cloud.  The SBC is in passthrough mode.

What I see that I am not sure about is:
INVITE from SIP Server to SBC IP (no Record-Route header...so far no
surprise here)
INVITE from SBC to Phone (Record-Route header inserted by SBC but with
the IP of the SIP Server)

I do not think the SBC is supposed to add a Record-Route header with the
IP of the remote SIP Server.  I think It should only be allowed to add
Record-Route headers with its own IP.  Does that sound right?

The RFC lists the usage as:

"20.30 Record-Route

    The Record-Route header field is inserted by proxies in a request to
    force future requests in the dialog to be routed through the proxy."

It says nothing about being able to arbitrarily force future requests to
go through a remote IP.

Please advise.

Thanks,

--