[SR-Users] Cannot hear voice with symmetric NAT and STUN

Daniel Tryba d.tryba at pocos.nl
Wed Feb 8 13:38:33 CET 2017

On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 12:28:36PM +0200, Arsen wrote:
> I am not sure that nat_uac_test can determine type of NAT device.
> and why you need all these checks if you always use rtpproxy? (another q
> from 2013 :)

The answer is: you don't have to.

> The idea is to reduce using of rtpproxy for better scalability and voice
> quality. If we can beat all types of NAT with a near-end NAT traversal,
> except symmetric NAT why do we always use proxy option in case if NAT is
> detected.

Near End NAT traversal relies on support and configuration of clients,
something I have no control over. It simply fails to often, either due
to misconfiguration, simple lack of support, a buggy implementation or
something else not in my control.

Far End NAT just works (tm). Can't speak for rtpproxy, but rtpengine
scales just fine. Only positive I can think of is that you might keep
some audio outside of your network.