[SR-Users] Dispatcher flow regarding weight and priority.

Joel Serrano joel at gogii.net
Thu Dec 7 18:47:11 CET 2017

Hi all,

I have a doubt regarding how dispatcher selects a node...

>From the docs:

*[...]*
*alg* - the algorithm used to select the destination address. The parameter
can be an integer or a variable holding an interger.

   -

   “4” - round-robin (next destination).
   -

   “8” - select destination sorted by priority attribute value (serial
   forking ordered by priority).
   -

   “9” - use weight based load distribution. You have to set the attribute
   'weight' per each address in destination set.

*[...]*

I normally use "4", so dispatcher round-robins through the destinations of
a setid, but I have now the following doubt:

If a trunk has 3 nodes, say 1.1.1.1, 2.2.2.2, 3.3.3.3

Can I do:

Send all calls to 1.1.1.1, if it goes down, then do a 80%-20% between
2.2.2.2 and 3.3.3.3.

if the trunk has a correct DNS SRV setup with weight and priority it's easy
to achieve, but in this case there is no SRV or nothing, just 3 IPs.

So can this logic be achieved with dispatcher directly? Can do some
combination of alg "8" and alg "9"?

Or would the correct approach need two separate setid groups and handle
that logic in failure route?

Thanks,
Joel.