[SR-Users] Forwarding Registration to Asterisk

Ivailo Dobrev ivailod at telera.eu
Wed Dec 6 23:21:11 CET 2017

Hello, I saw next emails but prefer answer directly here. Comments inline.

Regards,

Ivo

On 12/06/2017 08:33 PM, Wilkins, Steve wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> *Problem*: My main issue is that when I “REGISTER” a client via
> Kamailio, and I attempt to “Dial” a different endpoint within an
> Asterisk Dial Plan, Asterisk throws an error stating that the endpoint
> (the number I am dialing via “Dial”) is not registered or reachable.
> However, commands like “Playback” do work correctly for the client I
> “REGISTERED” via Kamailio.
>
>    E.g. I register client 10001 in Kamailio, I then register another
> client 10002 in Kamalio; both 10001 and 10002 can exercise an Asterisk
> Dial Plan which will play videos/audio (No Problem).  But, now I want
> 10001 to Call (Dial) 10002; it is at this point that Asterisk throws
> the error “10002 is not registered or reachable”.
>
> I have tried many of the suggestion on many different help boards
> (several times) but I am still unable to forward a registration from
> Kamailio to Asterisk.

So if your statement below is true your problems are replies not request ?

> With my current Kamailio configuration (I do use dispatching), I see ,
> via tcpdump, Asterisk receiving a “REGISTER” request, and Asterisk
> sends back the “unauthorized” as expected, however, Kamailio does not
> re-send the “REGISTER” as is customary.  I am not sure of the next
> step to take, but I feel I have a couple of options.

At this point you can treat REGISTER as any other request in term of
Kamailio configuration. So you dispatch it, request leaves Kamailio but
reply is not forwarded to the endpoint. Most probably you do not have
on_reply route handling register replies from Asterisk. On 200 OK you
can save() location before forwarding register reply to SIP endpoint.
     - Note 1. Requested architecture/feature is targeted more to SBC
but not to a SIP proxy. At that point Kamailio is upstream registrar and
Asterisk is registrar and subscriber DB.
     - Note 2. This can be made w/ Kamailio but more than just
forwarding requests need to be made. There are other cases (transport,
nat, conatct ...) that need to be addressed.

I think it is well described here :
http://www.frafos.com/uploa/html/29__Registration_Caching_and_Handling.html?highlight=register

>   * I can continue to try and figure out why Kamailio is not sending
>     the second “REGISTER” (*I have not yet been able to figure this
>     out*).
>   * Tell Asterisk to not require authentication.  (*I am using pjsip
>     and do not know how to not require authentication in Asterisk when
>     the request is from Kamailio*).

This is more common approach, Integrate Kamailio and Asterisk via DB and
use Kamailio as registrar.