[SR-Users] How ICE works with private IPs as candidates?

Richard Fuchs rfuchs at sipwise.com
Fri Apr 21 14:50:32 CEST 2017

On 04/21/2017 04:46 AM, Denys Pozniak wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have next topology: ISP->Kamailio + Rtpengine->WebRTC
> Sometimes I receive from Browser side SDP like below with private IPs
> in ICE candidates.
>
>   * Please explain why it happens?
>   * How ICE finds a pair? I think Rtpengine obtains packet from
>     Browser and somehow matches with peer (as it can't reach Browser
>     via private IP)

ICE candidate collection is done entirely on the client side, i.e. in
the browser. If your browser fails to obtain public address ICE
candidates, it's a problem with the browser script.

ICE should still be able to find a working candidate pair though,
because once the opposite direction SDP is seen by the browser (which
should contain public address ICE candidates from the other client or
rtpengine), the browser will start sending checks to these candidates
and the other side will then see the NAT'd address and use this to run
checks. ICE completion would be delayed until after the answer/200 is
seen, but it should still complete.

Cheers