[SR-Users] RTPProxy

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at sippysoft.com
Wed Oct 19 09:32:24 CEST 2016

Alex, with all due respect, things you said about rtpproxy capacity is
somewhat outdated and misleading. We have some nodes in the field, that
handle 5,000-6,000 rtp sessions in peak. Those are running 6 rtpproxy
instances, 1,000 sessions each.  2-3 year old CPUs, 12 cores in total.

We also have an open source solution called rtp_cluster, which allows
building larger scale deployments, for at least up to 50,000 bidirectional
streams using multiple nodes running rtpproxy. Available here
https://github.com/sippy/rtp_cluster. You are also welcome to check our
talk last summer at the opensips devsummit in Austin where we gave it some
limelight.

So you are off by two orders of magnitude roughly with regards to the
capacity. :)

And yes, we've been happily running large deployments at AWS for at least 6
years now.

Rodrigo, speaking about your original question, I could not tell much about
rtpengine due to a lack of practical experience with it. But from what I
read on its website it seems to be logical continuation of the mediaproxy
package packed with some cutting edge sexy features.

In a nutshell rtpproxy and mediaproxy/rtpengine are just two independently
developed pieces of software, doing somewhat similar function. What would
work in your particular setting depends on your requirements and
constraints.

Here at Sippy Labs we focus on stability, compatibility and portability for
a predominantly regular audio traffic.

We also have a test suite that check compatibility of the latest production
and development versions of the rtpproxy against array of different SIP
engines, including Kamailio. https://travis-ci.org/sippy/voiptests

So with rtpproxy you are not locked in into single SIP engine, you can mix
and match to fit your particular goal.

And yes, last but not least, all our code is BSD licensed, so you can build
you proprietary box that uses it.

Hope it helps.

-Max