[SR-Users] db_cassandra status and plans

Andreas Granig agranig at sipwise.com
Thu Mar 31 14:24:51 CEST 2016

Hi Lucian,

On 03/31/2016 01:36 PM, Lucian Balaceanu wrote:
> At 1&1 we actually haven't used db_cassandra, but were aware of some of
> its shortcomings (e.g. thrift interface).
> Do you consider Cassandra is stable and easy enough to maintain so as to
> use it as usrloc back-end? Are you
> also considering other alternatives?

We're planning to introduce cassandra for sharding of certain huge data
sets (voice/video-mails etc.), and related to kamailio maybe using it to
distribute heavy writes in a cluster (to sync location or certain
presence information) is at least under serious consideration, but
really depends on benchmarking results. So for now cassandra is still in
evaluation.

For usrloc itself, we used to use a quite old mysql-cluster (ndb)
version with good success for years, but stability during maintenance
has always been a concern, as it was quite fragile if you touched it
(extending nodes etc). This, and performance, seems to have been
improved a lot over the last years, so we're reconsidering that as
another option at least for kamailio-related parts. Advantage here is
that it just works transparently from a mysql driver point of view.

Andreas