[SR-Users] Kamailio design that needs one b2bua

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 07:46:17 CET 2016

Hello,

On 07/03/16 23:23, anthony gonzalez wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I'm designing and implementing a kamailio solution for sip routing
> between several softswitch based on prefixes.
>
> IIn this setup i will need an b2bua in order to do topology hiding and
> also to make transparent the call transfer between phones registered
> in kamailio and softswitches(that doesn't support very well REFER
> messages).
>
> I was searching what solution should I use and I found 3 opensource
> solutions that for me seems to be acceptable:
handling properely transfer to full range of devices out there, could
require processing DTMF codes (specially old gateways to pstn) and also
a transfer may result in transconding, so a full media engine may be the
safest bet.

Most of the customers I work with prefer to use what they are more
familiar with (hardware is cheap, you can use kamailio load balancing
for scalability in front of a farm), those being mostly Asterisk of
FreeSwitch -- both should have quite good documentation out there and
large communities. Some are using Sems, but you may need to invest more
of your time to learn/tune it by eventually digging in sources, if you
start from scratch, given it has not much documentation and community
there, on the other hand, probably is the smallest in footprint.
Asterisk, FreeSwitch and Sems are media servers as well. There is also
sippy b2bua which is open source, but signaling only, written in python,
iirc, I met it in some deployments over the time, although not that often.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com
Kamailio World Conference, Berlin, May 18-20, 2016 - http://www.kamailioworld.com