[SR-Users] Kamailio 5.0 - pseudo variable name cleanup

Sven Neuhaus neuhaus at tyntec.com
Mon Mar 7 12:57:46 CET 2016

Am 03.03.2016 um 16:54 schrieb Alex Balashov:
> I would agree that, given a sufficiently large number of variables:
>
> - It is inevitable that even long-time Kamailio developers and
> experienced professionals have to go to the documentation to find what
> they need. One cannot reasonably expect to have everything memorised
> without consulting reference material. It's that way with any nontrivial
> API, library, toolkit or framework.
>
> - All other things being equal, short PV names are much better than long
> ones.

I don't mine terse names. But case sensitive variables are just crossing
a line. The only other place I've seen that was in sendmail and that was
in the early 90s. And ordinary admins used m4 macros instead of dealing
with sendmail.cf directly.

There is a good reason no one else is do case sensitive variable names!
Perhaps as a first step we can get rid of all variables that exist with
different meanings depending on the case of the variables, and work from
there.

Is it really preferable to have $bF instead of, say, $branch.hexflags?

I like the .user and .domain suffix examples Daniel posted.
Are these transformations also writeable?

-Sven